Monday, December 24, 2007

Sold


I finished Sold by Patricia McCormick yesterday. Lakshmi is a 13 year old girl who lives with her family in a small mountain village in Nepal. They are a poor family, but Lakshmi is still able to enjoy the simple things in life...including taking care of her goat. This doesn't last long, though, once the monsoons wipe away their crops and her step-father says she must leave the family and find a job. This job, of course, is not a desirable one. Lakshmi, like many young girls, is sold into the slave trade of India. The story is told from Lakshmi's point of view in the form of a journal that makes it an easy, but powerful read.

2 comments:

Mrs. Bade said...

Glad you liked this book! It was reviewed very well. I bought a copy for our LMC last year but it was "lifted" so I purchased another one. It is on my reading list as well.

Ms. Morris said...

I read Patricia McCormick's Cut as well - she seems to like one-word titles. ;) But I liked the way she wrote!